The National Asthma and COPD Audit Programme (NACAP) for England, Scotland and Wales aims to improve the quality of care, services and clinical outcomes for patients with asthma (adult and paediatric) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Spanning the entire patient care pathway, NACAP will include strong collaboration with asthma and COPD patients, as well as healthcare professionals, and aspires to set out a vision for a service which puts patient needs first. The programme comprises six key workstreams:
- primary care audit – involves the collection of audit data from GP patient record systems in Wales for patients with asthma (both paediatric and adult) and COPD.
- secondary care audits – continuous audits of admissions to hospital, in combination with a biennial snapshot audit of service organisation and resource for:
- COPD – continuous since February 2017.
- adult asthma – to commence in November 2018.
- paediatric asthma - to commence in June 2019.
- pulmonary rehabilitation – a continuous clinical audit of service provision and delivery, with a biennial snapshot audit of service organisation and resource in March 2019.
- quality improvement – integrated into all workstreams, resources, events and materials which will provide teams with support for service development and improvement.